Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Muddy Valentine

I have trouble writing "kissy" scenes.  Some people love writing great makeout scenes between their characters-- me, I feel like a complete and total goofball when I need to write anything romantic.  Still, after a few months of playing in a middle grade sandbox, I realized that I...well, kind-of miss the "kissy stuff."

In honor of St. Valentine's day, I've decided to play with two characters I've been toying with for a contemporary YA.  I get a little bit more kissy practice, you get a Valentine post (hmm, I think I get the better part of the bargain.)  Since I'll need some Valentine's entertainment, I'd love it if some of you also posted love-y blurbs on your own blogs.

Yes, I just begged for stories.  If you couldn't tell from my FDB (fictional dead boy) or Mini Sock Boy posts, I'm single. So, while all of the people around me are spending their Valentine's day eating out or whatever people who have significant others do, I'm icing my injured hamstring, eating chocolate, and probably doing some spa-y mask thing to my face while watching people making cupcakes on TV.  Entertainment is good!*

(*Note, I'm actually pretty happy about my circumstances. Totally did not have to buy a card or stuff today.  And I can eat and do whatever I want.  Whee!!)

Begging over, I'd like to introduce you to Phoebe and Dev, from a (barely) outlined YA contemporary and written (mostly) over my lunch hour today.

Feb 2 2014 update: Sooooooo... since this little excerpt actually made it into Bookishly Ever After *and* is so much better in its new form, I'm taking it off of the blog so you all can see it perfectly shiny and wonderful in 10 more months! <3 Issy


Happy Valentine's Day!

6 comments:

  1. I always feel intimidated by the kissy scenes in YA, not to mention the beyond-kissing scenes. Sometimes I like MG for the more innocent relationships.

    Fun scene! They were very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know how anyone can write kissing without feeling goofy.:)

      Weirdly, I agree with you and love MG for the innocence, but miss YA when I'm playing in that sandbox (and vice-versa!)

      Delete
  2. Kissing scenes do make me feel a little goofy sometimes, but I usually place them at a point where a lot of bad things have happened/are happening to the characters and I think that helps me take them seriously. Also, the more detail I describe, the goofier I feel, so I try to remember that it's okay not to document every second. Letting the readers imagine can be really effective sometimes. (Though writing every kissing scene this way is probably not a good plan.)

    In any case, I thought this scene was really cute, and while the characters act a little goofy (duh! of course they do! love makes fools of us all!) I was still taking you and your writing seriously as I read it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it doesn't look to me like you're kissing-scene-impaired. ;)

    Also, we’ve tagged you over at The Feather and the Rose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Thank you for the tag! I'm glad that you liked the scene-- it was fun to write (and a little bit nostalgic! I had to make it across one of those bridges years ago and ended up completely covered in mud... but I was eleven and the hottie on the opposite bank of the creek was a high school senior. The only thing that I got for finishing was a muddy high-five! :P )

      Delete
  3. LOVE!!! Unlike you I have nooooo problems with the kissy-kissy stuff. I actually find myself rushing to those parts 'cause I'm dying to write them out! LOL I need to see it written out and make it as horrible, goofy, awkward, tingly, and perfect as it is in my head. This was great stuff here!!! Did not sound like you felt goofy at all. =^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks! Sometimes when I write these, it feels like I'm an early teen again, sneaking a romance novel and giggling over the descriptions. And I'm always worried that I'll get what Cassie Clare called "octopus-arm syndrome"!

      Delete