Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What's Up Wednesday: The Ice Cold Edition

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. It's hosted by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk, and if you want to join in, sign up on Jaime's blog!



What I'm Reading: 

Remember my first What's Up Wednesday when I was trying to read a gajillion books at the same time because they all released on the same day?

Uhm, yeah, I failed miserably. But! But! That means this week I'm enjoying a fun read by one of my favorite modern YA authors.

I'm about a third of the way through Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike and I love the voice and story. With no heat in the apartment, staying up late to finish a book probably won't happen, but I probably will finish this in the next day, easily.

What I'm Writing: 
More of Em's story. I like writing from her POV. She's a little snarky, very dramatic, and it's fun to see Phoebe (the MC from my contemporary) through her eyes when they share scenes. I'm at 4K right now and am having so much fun playing with these characters.

What Inspires Me Right Now: 
Last week, I was in two days of cadaver labs (about...9 bodies?) I'll be in another lab later this week. Some of these bodies are not "old." I'm reminded of how short a time we have on this planet. It puts everything into perspective.

I'm inspired because I'm freed from freaking out over the little things, at least for a tiny while.


What Else I've Been Up To:

Post-it pen in action. I've only flagged up to Chapter 4 so far

Remember how I gushed over The Summer I Became A Nerd? Well, I'm going to confess to being a major nerd right now. I'm going through the book with my handy-dandy post-it flag pen and marking every geeky hidden reference I find.

Yes, my post-it DOES say "duh." Some references are self-explanatory!

 

I bought two new Ravenscroft hair moons and have been having fun with silly moon hairstyles, including Sailor-Moon-esque mini buns.



I love these little moons! They hold so well!
 
And keeping with the "yes, I'm still five years old" theme, I've planted an "enchanted fairy garden" in my apartment. Let's see if it survives the freezing apartment.



And, incase you haven't figured it out from this post so far, I've had no heat in my apartment for the past week. Which would have been fine if it hadn't gone down to 34F the other night. I've been huddling under multiple blankets for the past week! Not too helpful for productivity.

That's my Wednesday. What have you been up to lately?

4 comments:

  1. I just bought THE SUMMER I BECAME A NERD the other day. I'm very excited to read it, though it might be a little while until I can get to it. The moon hairstyles are so cute, as is your fairy garden! Hope it grows well and that your apartment warms up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still geeking out over the book a week later, so much so that I feel a bit silly. But the reference hunt is so much fun!

      And thank you! I love all of my moon hairsticks (though I usually stick to only one at a time. Unless I want to be silly!)

      Rumor has it that it's supposed to be warmer today, so I might not have to hide in my bedroom under blankets! *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  2. Yikes! I hope it warms up soon or they wise up and turn on the heat. I would be guzzling tea like there's no tomorrow. As you know, I bought The Summer I Became a Nerd for my Kindle and I'm hoping to read it soon. I've been a contemp mood lately so it should be perfect. Your fairy garden is so cute! I hope it grows so you can take more pics of it and share them with us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NJ law only forces them to give us heat until May 1st *sigh*, so I'm fully dependent on Mother Nature. It's going up into the 70s F today, so I should be okay for tonight. Thanks!

      And I hope you enjoy TSIBAN! I'm feeling so geeky but happy right now.

      Isn't the fairy garden adorable? The silhouette came with seeds, so I just had to get the perfect planter for it. Hopefully the cold and my cat don't kill it!!!

      Delete